Carbon monoxide concerns when heating your home

By  | 

RAPID CITY, S.D. (KOTA) -- No one likes to get into a cold car. But how you warm up the car could be dangerous.

Remember, don't leave your vehicle running in a closed garage. The carbon monoxide from the tail pipe can kill you. But it's not just vehicles we need to be aware of; homes can become susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning as well.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas, which makes it nearly impossible to detect. That's why experts say it's important to have an up-to-date carbon monoxide detector.

"You know, if you do have some problems with carbon monoxide, the first thing is to figure out where that's coming from," said Richard Smith from the American Red Cross. "Also, to get the house opened up so that you can get some fresh air moving into the house. Seems kind of counter-intuitive in the cold weather, but you really want to get that out of your house."

Cleaning vents, making sure heating units are working correctly, and proper ventilation in areas such as furnace rooms and garages are important safety precautions.

Read the original version of this article at kotatv.com.