Cheyenne, WY (KGWN) - The United States Postal Service will accommodate the parade of people pursuing a postmark proving punctual posting of their tax returns.
The Postal Service encourages everyone to file or mail their returns soon. All area Post Office retail windows will be open with regular customer service hours. We will not be staying open late on April 15.
However, if you absolutely must wait until the last minute, the Cheyenne Main Office at 4800 Converse Ave., will accept returns for postmarking only, up to midnight on Apr. 15. The collection boxes both inside and outside will be available for properly stamped envelopes. There will be no retail services provided.
Customers can call 1-800-ASK-USPS (1-800-275-8777) to find out the regular customer service hours of their local Post Office.
Below are important tax mail tips.
Tax Mail tips:
· Apply the proper postage or stamps, especially if enclosing extra forms and schedules. Using a regular size Number 2 envelope, First Class postage costs 49 cents for the first ounce.
· For heavier envelopes, add extra stamps or postage amounting to 20 cents for each additional ounce.
· If you are not sure about the correct postage, it is best to add additional stamps, or take your forms to the Post Office to ensure that correct postage is applied.
· Make sure you print the proper IRS address on the front of the envelope.
· Print your return address in the upper-left-hand corner of your tax mail envelope.
· Customers who wish certification that their tax mail form was sent, should send it Certified Mail
· Customers with IRS tax questions can contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040; or go to www.irs.gov