Afghanistan police officer kills 3 Americans at Cure hospital in Kabul
- An Afghan police officer on duty as a guard at a Kabul hospital opened fire Thursday morning on a long-serving American doctor at the facility, killing him and two other U.S. nationals in the attack.
Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 hunt set to go deeper as materials washed ashore in Australia investigated
- As officials leading the hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet prepared to focus their efforts deeper into the Indian Ocean, it emerged Wednesday that possible debris from an airplane had been spotted on the southwest Australian coast -- 1,000 miles from the center of the search area.
U.S. airstrikes kill dozens of suspected al Qaeda fighters
- Dozens of al Qaeda terrorist suspects have been killed in two days of American airstrikes in Yemen.
South Korean sunken ferry death toll tops 100
- South Korean officials say their earlier conclusion that the ferry that sank last week, leaving more than 300 people dead or missing, had made a sharp turn shortly before the disaster was incorrect, and that the vessel made a less severe turn than initially reported.
Family escapes after car catches fire in lion enclosure at Longleat safari park in U.K.
- Of all the places for Helen Clements' car to suddenly catch on fire with her two kids in the back seat, it had to be the lion enclosure at the safari park.
Vow to push forward on Ukraine pact meets defiance on the ground
- Two days after an international pact was brokered with the stated goal of easing tensions in Ukraine, the major players met again in Kiev to hash out plans to push it along, but ended their meeting offering little indication of progress.
Library at school for girls in Pakistan named for bin Laden
- Most didn't notice the new library at this Islamic seminary for girls near Pakistan's capital, until locals saw the paper sign in Urdu posted on its wooden door: "Library of Osama bin Laden, the Martyr."
South Korean ferry: Arrest warrant sought for captain of doomed craft
- Prosecutors say they've asked a court to issue an arrest warrant for the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
Mount Everest avalanche is its worst disaster ever
- An avalanche swept Mount Everest's slopes on Friday along a popular route used to climb the world's highest peak, killing at least 12 Nepalese guides and leaving three missing in the worst disaster to hit climbers on the mountain, officials said.
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, the Nobel laureate whose novels and short stories exposed tens of millions of readers to Latin America's passion, superstition, violence and inequality, died at home in Mexico City around midday, according to people close to his family. He was 87.
More International Headlines