Man dies, dozens hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at New York mall


Huntington Station, NY (CBS) - A restaurant manager died and 27 other people were hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning at a restaurant in New York, authorities said Sunday.

Police and emergency crews rushed to the mall in Huntington Station on Saturday night following reports that a woman collapsed in the basement of Legal Sea Foods.
Once they arrived, they felt dizzy as well, and determined it was carbon monoxide poisoning, Suffolk County Police said in a statement.

"Police evacuated the restaurant and found the manager, Steven Nelson, 55, of Copiague, unconscious in the basement," the statement said. "He was transported to Huntington Hospital where he was pronounced dead."

The restaurant offered its condolences to his relatives.
"We are profoundly saddened to learn of the tragic death of our general manager," Legal Sea Foods tweeted. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Patients transported to hospital included restaurant employees, four ambulance personnel and three police officers.
Surrounding businesses were evacuated as a precaution, but authorities said the carbon monoxide appeared limited to the basement of the restaurant.

The investigation is focusing on the restaurant's heating equipment, authorities said.

CNN's Susan Candiotti and Lawrence Crook contributed to this report

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KGWN-TV 2923 E. Lincolnway Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001 307-634-7755
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246765751 -
Gray Television, Inc.