Officials: Carbon monoxide kills Utah father, son

By: AP
By: AP

Rock Springs, WY (AP) - A Wyoming sheriff's department says carbon monoxide poisoning has killed a Utah father and son who were camping at Flaming Gorge.
Sweetwater County sheriff's Col. Rick Hawkins tells The Salt Lake Tribune that 58-year-old Steven McConnell and his 17-year-old son Matthew of Stansbury Park were found unresponsive by companions who tried to wake them around 9 a.m. Monday. Emergency responders confirmed the deaths.

The department says the source of the toxic gas is apparently a lit propane heater found inside the ice-fishing hut the two slept in.

The father and son were camping with a group over the weekend in the Big Firehole area.

Laurie McConnell says her father and brother were longtime sportsmen and that her father was always careful.

Hawkins says no foul play is suspected.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KGWN-TV 2923 E. Lincolnway Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001 307-634-7755 KSTF-TV 3385 N. 10th Street Gering, Nebraska 69341 308-632-7535
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 246126551 -